Re: Debian as a social group and how to develop it better

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson wrote:
> > * We have to play the package-naming game if the upstream doesn't know
> >   about SONAME.
> I just tried to find SONAME using man.  How can I find out what this is? Will
> the LSB eliminate this?  What about the new UnitedLinux distribution.

man ld

Neither LSB nor UL will eliminate sonames.  If they would, you would
experience a new set of problems that already happend when SuSE and
RedHat used experimental glibc or gcc versions, just for everything.

> > * If some other distribution uses, say, glibc 2.2 and Debian uses 2.1[1],
> >   then using the same package name doesn't work.
> You are mixing apples and oranges.  Why are or would you be using the same

Maybe you should provide a detailed example instead.

> name for packages that do not use the same dependencies.  Again you missed my

Because the distribution uses different libraries and stuff.

> point.  If you are using the packages as they come from the supplier,
> everyone would have the same packages with the same dependencies.  Here again

No, then everybody would end up having to compile everything on their
own.

Regards,

	Joey

--
All language designers are arrogant.  Goes with the territory...
	-- Larry Wall