Re: Microsoft's plans to kill open source: TCPA

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 05:29:57PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> 	* enough content providers to think the mechanism is effective,
> 	  to make it so that if you don't have it you miss out on lots of
> 	  cool stuff. Try spending a couple of weeks without, say, mp3s,
> 	  flash, quicktime and realvideo for a while to get a taste.

For what little it's worth, I'm not aware of anything significant that
I've missed by not having flash, quicktime, or anything from real
networks available on any of my systems. MPEG is another matter,
though.

[Things written in flash are usually devoid of content. Quicktime is
too expensive for most people, and realvideo looks *awful* compared to
mpeg 2 or 4].

Content providers tend to be more interested in apparent quality (not
actual quality) than technology buzzwords or security. This probably
won't help matters any if TCPA can wrap any media type,
however. Somebody should think up something cool that would appeal to
the mass market and that can't be done with TCPA. A really good media
player that doesn't support it should do the trick.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK