Re: irc.debian.org

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 08:01:50PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Yes of course. A small network of 3 or so machines could probably take
> care of that though. So could some well-connected general access irc
> proxies, though I'm not sure such a proxy actually exists.

That is an accurate description of an IRC server itself.

> > There's also the question of trusting irc daemons enough to run them on
> > Debian machines.
>
> Heh, I love irc. :-P

This is actually a question of trusting people to correctly configure
and deploy IRC daemons on Debian machines. Most vulnerabilities are
the result of truly abysmal security policies, and a lack of
understanding of how the system actually works (it's horribly
counter-intuitive, to the point where running a large network requires
some seriously complex scripting to make it manageable).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK