Re: irc.debian.org

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 10:20:37AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> So, basically, instead of having a cabal of 1, OFTC have gone the
> obviously far superior route of having a cabal of 16.

I'm trying very hard to maintain my levels of boredom and disinterest
with this IRC network war, but I would point out that with the types of
personalities we have in our community, a cabal of sixteen is barely a
cabal at all.

While such an oligarchy may not be as representative or democratic as
one may like, getting a simple majority in a group that large can be a
feat.

Debian's cabal, by contrast, numbers in the single digits, and has
members who go dormant from time to time to further obscure their true
numbers and identities.  ;-)

Unless the OFTC leadership suffers from an epidemic of groupthink, I
wouldn't be too concerned about a leading body of sixteen people
becoming cabalistic.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Biology is really chemistry.