Re: irc.debian.org

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 02:54:08PM +0200, Cord Beermann wrote:
> (freenode-people: the in my opinion acceptable way to collect funds
> and something, would be to write it in the motd of your servers. It
> would be ok to enforce showing the motd on login to your net.)

It is completely and utterly impossible to "enforce" showing
anything. The client decides what to display.

Also, where is the difference between a message which has a stub of
":irc.openprojects.net 372", and a message which has a stub of
":FUNDRAISING!foo@irc.openprojects.net NOTICE"? The client decides
how to display both messages; the protocol does not even pretend to
tell the client what to do with them. If your client displays one in a
silly or inconvinient manner, get a better client. Mine puts messages
exactly where I tell it to.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK