Re: Woody retrospective and Sarge introspective

hertzog@debian.org (Raphael Hertzog) writes:

> But he can also make direct uploads to "candidate".

Anything you can directly upload to is "unstable", by definition.

The only real distinction I can see between "testing" and your "candidate"
distribution is a layer of manual control over when big changes are allowed
to move into "candidate"... and we already have that ability, if a bit
clumsily, by filing a release critical bug against a package that's in
unstable before it gets promoted to testing.

A "cleaner" way to implement that kind of promotion hold might be exactly
the right solution to making this better?  I don't think that adding a
fourth distribution feels like a good balance between effort and reward.

Bdale