Re: Working on debian developer's reference and "best packaging practices"

>>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

 Anthony> Julian, please note the above: this is "who's talking about
 Anthony> dpkg anyway".

	This is getting no where fast.

 Anthony> There is _absolutely_ no call for other packaging tools, and
 Anthony> absolutely _no_ need for a standard to make this easy or

	Yeah, right. There is never any need for competition or
 diversification, or any standards that may acknowledge the difference
 between an interface and documentation of a specific implementation.

 Anthony>     . Reforming policy into a pointless standards
 Anthony> document, while gutting all the useful best practices
 Anthony> information into an as-yet hypothetical new document seems a
 Anthony> lot like a pointless exercise in bureacracy.

	Whatever. I see you have no interest in meaningful dialog
 (pointless standard), I'll refrain from pointing out that policy has
 always defined the format of version numbers, Control files,
 changelogs, and other details of how a package interfaces with the
 packaging system. Chapters 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 of the curtrent
 policy already define the interface.

	Either you are trolling, or you haven't read policy in a long
 while. In any case, I am getting tired of this discussion. Or, to use
 your own brilliant repartee, *yawn*.

 Anthony> As one of the agitators for a policy team rather than a
 Anthony> policy dictator, one might've hoped that at the very least
 Anthony> you might at least try to reach a consensus, rather than
 Anthony> dictating from on high about what policy will and won't be.

	Had I been a dictator (unlike the  RM), we would never have
 been having this pointlessly futile discussion. However, you are not
 yet the be all and end all of the project, despite whatever you may
 think, and if we stopped doing things at the behest of a single
 person, nothing wou;d ever get done.

	manoj

--
 "Well," said Programmer, "the customary procedure in such cases is as
 follows."  "What does Crustimoney Proseedcake mean?" said End-user.