Re: Working on debian developer's reference and "best packaging practices"

On 09-May-02, 12:48 (CDT), Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 06:11:46PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > My suggestion for a
> > policy rewrite it to move to the standard RFC uses of MUST and SHOULD,
> > and indication RC-ness in an orthogonal way.
>
> In short, this isn't going to happen.

Which "this" in "this isn't going to happen"? "This" as in use RFC
definitions of MUST and SHOULD, or "this" as in the policy document
include RC-ness? I think changing policy to use proper MUST and SHOULD
would help clarify, and the RFC uses are widely understood, and the
current situation of them being similar but not identical is confusing
to (Debian) newcomers.

However, since (as you've noted) RCness ends up being the decision of
the Release Manager anyway, putting it in the policy doc is a Bad Thing.

I'm guessing from the rest of your paragraph that we're not disagreeing,
but it was not completely clear to me.

--
Steve Greenland