RE: Project Adamastor - Portugal

Dear Pedro,

First of all, I am no one 'officially from Debian', but just someone
interested in it, and helping out here and there. If I ever find a package
to adopt I will fulfill my ultimate goal of becoming a debian developer.

Second, as I understand it, there is no 'Official Debian Boxed Linux
Distribution'. There's a set of official cd-images (currenlty 2.2r5/potato).
These official images can be considered stable (by all means: that means
usually outdated software). At the moment this set is 3 CDs, with one or 2
cds with extra software (KDE, eg).

There's also the woody distribution (forthcoming Debian 3.0), with more
recent software. "Unofficial CD-images" are created of this distribution
about twice a month. It currenlty consists of 8 CDs. However, the
distribution is still buggy, yesterday there were about 120 release critical
bugs left. Woody is usable, however, our LUG's webserver
(http://www.linuxbourg.ch) has an uptime of over 60 days and runs with
woody.

So, afaik there's no "Official Boxed Set". Any booxed sets you might find
out there are what distributers make of them. Hell, I am even fighting for
Printed manuals atm (the english version of the installation manual is like
100 pages, foreign language versions are more, so it would make sense to
sell printed copies of that).

The other thing are installparties (LIPs,FILs,..). Memeber of a local Linux
group who has organised a few of them, I have some hints:

- If oyu have a fast netw0rk connetion, use that. 70% of the boxes I have
seen can be installed with 2-3 disks (debian netinstall), the rest need like
5 disks.

- forget installing it on compaqs, those besats are so poprietary they'll
need a lot of skill to install (I have tried several times and couldn't do
it).

- People at such events tend to buy CD's, esp. Mandrake & Redhat CDs (sorry,
but Debian is still perceived to be for more advanced users). Our last
instal levent was financially a huge success (covered all our ocsts,..)
because of the sale of CDs.

Mail me privately for more hints..

Robert Ribnitz