Re: Open Source Development Research

Hmm...

Anne Knibbs wrote:
> I am currently researching Open Source development life cycles for a Masters
> degree.
> Could you please spare the time to answer and return the following
> questionnaire?
>

> Does your project follow a particular development methodology?

Yes.

> If so what is it?

It's called "The Bazaar of small Cathedrals", well, some people call
it so.  See "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" for understanding.

> What design methods are you using for your project?

Err... none?

> Who defines the software requirements?

Err... the users?

> Who decides which features to include?

Err... the developers inparticualr?

> How is the programming coordinated?

Who told you it is coordinated?

> What programming conventions have you specified?
> i.e. naming conventions, indentations etc.

Please read the Debian Policy,
i.e. <http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-versions.html>

See the Bug Tracking System at <http://bugs.debian.org/>

> What testing methods do you use?

Packages are tested by people who write hate mails (called bug
reports) that tell the maintainer something's going wrong...

> How are they conducted?

Who told you they are conducted?  Maybe you didn't know about
<http://www.debian.org/Bugs/> yet.

See <http://www.debian.org/devel/>

> Do you use any pre-existing libraries?

Always.

> How are maintenance issues managed?

parse error.

> What type of license have you released projects under?

You surely haven't even tried to understand what the Debian Project is
about.  Please go back to the beginning, don't collect $1,000 and read
<http://www.debian.org/>, especially the 9th link called 'Social Contract'.
After that, and more investigation on the entire website, you may come
back to us.

> Do you have a commercial, personal or academic interest in Open Source
> Software development?

See above!

Regards,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  --Larry Wall