Re: Propossed Project: Odyssey

* Cesar Mendoza <mendoza@debian.org> [011024 11:17]:
> As an example, I put together a sid box for my wife with KDE and I explained to
> her what were the equivalents in Linux to the applications the she used

I do the same thing for my fiancee :)  Shes got a nifty dual-head setup
where she uses mozilla (browsing, mail), x-chat (irc), gnomeicu (icq)
(perhaps soon move her to jabber.ringworld.org/gabber), xsane, jpilot,
openoffice, and gimp.  Printing is managed with cups/gimp-print.

> What you want to do it's more easy for an organization that can afford

Yeah.  I work for a CSci department and manage ~200+ linux machines.
Stability and planned upgrades are required for me to keep any sanity.
Right now I'm just trying to dig ourselves out of redhat, and then I'm
going to work on how to manage upgrades and inventory machine software
and setup so I can figure out how far some machines are from the 'norm'
install. (and setup some programs to fix machines missing some dpkg
selections)

I'm also using cfengine to manage permissions and configuration files.
Horribly complex, but fun to beable to push out changes that dont
clobber the single-case machines.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> <sdier@debian.org>
http://www.ringworld.org/  #linuxos@irc.openprojects.net