Re: Project name

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 03:30:38PM +0200, Lars Bahner wrote:
> From http://www.debian.org/index.html
>
> <TITLE>Debian GNU/Linux -- The Universal Operating System</TITLE>

Like I said.  That's one of the OSes we produce.  It's our front runner,
and therefor in the main page title.  I think it is appropriate.  (I
am really doubtful about the tagline "The Universal Operating System"
applied to Debian GNU/Hurd :)

> What is Debian?
>
> Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer.

Equally applicable to Debian GNU/Hurd and Debian GNU/Linux.

> Debian uses the Linux kernel (the core of an operating system),

So far, accurate.  Yes, we are also working towards using the Hurd
kernel, but that's not yet ready for "prime time".  What end-users
know us for is the Linux-based OS.

> but most of the basic OS tools come from the GNU project;
> hence the name GNU/Linux.

Again, nothing wrong here.  This refers to the specific project that
produces this OS, not to Debian as a whole.

> Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes with more than
> 3950 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for easy
> installation on your machine.

Again, very accurate.  You cannot say that Debian GNU/Hurd comes with
more than 3950 packages.

See the "About" link for the first specific mention of Debian GNU/Hurd.
I think it is appropriate to only list Hurd here and not on the front
page given its current rough state.

In short, I don't think there is any confusion in this reference.

Also, what Josip Rodin said. :)

Ben