Re: A Description of Debian for a presentation

Nancy Blachman <nancy@blachman.org> wrote:
>DEBIAN
>
>    - Where did the name come from?
>
>      The name Debian comes from Debbie and Ian

(... Murdock; Ian founded the distribution.)

>    - What is Debian's reputation?
>
>      Best known for
>         ties to GNU project
>            strict rules about which software is included
>            Not free software is included on supplemental disks
>              less non-free software rather than more GPL'ed software

I'm not clear about what that last point means - I'd say we have both
less non-free software and more GPLed software.

>         cross-platform compatibility

Alpha, ARM, i386, m68k, PowerPC, and SPARC are released; HP PA-RISC,
Hurd i386, IA64, mips, mipsel, SuperH, and S/390 in development.

>      Produce a conservative distribution
>         well tested before release
>         has relatively few bugs
>         those bugs that do exist are well publicized

Those who prefer more up-to-date although less well-tested packages can
download the development distribution.

I'd say that's overall a fair summary. Thanks.