Re: Security upgrade for potato by new major version and distro change?

--- Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> 	If the maintainer does not know C/C++, then they really have
>  no business packaging a C/C++ programme. Debian is supposed to be
>  more than a repository of everything out there (or a cool email
>  address). It is also supposed to be about quality. If you do not
>  understand the language your package is written in, it is highly
>  unlikely your stewardship of that package is goging to be anything
>  but mediocre.
> 	I would hope most developers would realize this, and do the
>  right thing
> 	manoj

I'm sorry manoj, I don't agree with you there. Surely the maintainer is
there to ensure that the program in its existing state is packaged and
can be installed on a computer correctly, and to work as it should.
This means configuration issues should be a maintainer's biggest issue
they must deal with.

The debugging of a package's program is not solely the responsibility
of the maintainer, rather in the Linux(and others)/GNU arena, the user
is the one who takes responsibility for the program's actual
performance. If a maintainer cannot debug a program, he can simply
redirect issues upstream.

NOTE that i'm not saying 'if he can't program in that language',
sometimes even experienced C/C++ programmers cannot easily debug a
large program (eg: TeX, X, lesstif, linuxkernels), and must not be held

I speak from the point of view of a C/C++ programmer who likes to debug
programs, but does not like trying to figure out debian's packaging
system. Stick with what you know, and assist the community where you

Do You Yahoo!?