Re: RFC: Changing the NM system

On 00-12-17 Martin Schulze wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > My impression is that currently maintainers are accepted too early. For
> > some AMs it's enough that they build one package (and thanks to debhelper
> > it's relatively easy to build a package) and even if they make a buggy
> > package this is sometimes enough to pass the "Tasks & Skills" test (e.g.
> > in [2]). We have currently over 600 developers and at about 6000 packages
> > that have over 600 RC bugs. If we don't have severe look at the quality of
> > the work of new maintainers it will become very hard to retain our
> > reputation of being a high quality distribution.

> Maybe it's time to release an idea that I have discussed with Wichert
> at LinuxTag '99 and with James at a Linux-Kongress but haven't released
> in public yet.
[...]

This also a possible approach, but if I look at the question, I think
this is not only usable for the task&skill test but also for the
philsophy test. It would some updates to fit the new situations or to
deal with current problems. But I'm not sure, if it's the right method
to handle the current NM situation.

Ciao
     Christian
--
          Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Team Member