Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

Christian Surchi <csurchi@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 04:29:18PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>
> > I think it would be clearer, and not *that* much of a problem, if we
> > added a dependency on base-files.
>
> bash-2.03$ apt-cache show base-files
> Package: base-files
> Essential: yes
>
> The question of getting it or distributing it is different from debian
> requirement or suggestion, IMHO.

All that doesn't actually make someone (using alien on a different
system, say) do it.

Basically, I think we'd be doing the Right Thing better if we tried to
take steps to tell a user "you are supposed to get THIS if you want
THAT", where THAT is, say, fileutils, and THIS is base-files.

We distribute Debian packages not just for Debian, as far as legality
is concerned; we distribute them to everyone.  I like our current
scheme of distributing and dealing with licenses; I don't want to have
to add copies into every .deb.  But I do think it's reasonable to make
explicit in some way the need to distribute the license along with the
package.