Re: RFC: Changing the NM system

Chuan-kai Lin wrote:
> Hmm, this topic seems to be quite popular these days, and I would
> like to offer my opinions.  I am currently in the final stage of my
> NM process (awaiting DAM approval), and I have been there since
> Sep 1, 2000.  The DAM commented "need to find out what he cannot do
> without being a maintainer" and everything comes to a halt.  The
> goals I stated for joining Debian includes: work on the Chinese
> translation of w.d.o and help with QA work for Chinese-specific
> packages.  Okay, enough for background information...

> Note: this is not a personal critic to Anthony Fok, the one who
> supplied me with the access and is now acting as my AM.  It is not
> his fault -- it is the system that needs to change.

What & why do you want it to change.  For working on www.debian.org
which is an important task you don't need maintainer status.  The same
applies to Quality Assurance.  Only if you need to upload packages
or package them on your own, then you'll need maintainer status.
However, if you have worked on both issues for a while I'm sure that
you will have gained enough knowledge fulfil any maintainer task.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto