Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 05:30:57PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> No, I take it back again.  Sorry for the flip-flop.  Distribution of
> binary packages is under section 3 of the GPL, which is under the
> terms of Sections 1 and 2, plus the additional rule about distributing
> source.

Damn, I also take back my previous comment then,,,, that's for me to learn to skim all the postings before replying :)

> Section 1 requires that you "give any other recipients of the Program
> a copy of this License along with the Program".
>
> The rules about binary packages (section 3) say that the source must
> "accompany" the binary, and that putting it up on the same FTP site
> counts as accompany, even if the user isn't compelled to copy the
> source too.
>
> But that laxity in the accompaniment of binaries with sources, cannot
> be translated into a laxity about "giving the license" along with the
> binaries.  That's a different section of the GPL entirely.
>
> So I'm pretty sure, despite my immediately previous messages, that we
> must distribute the GPL in the actual .deb of the relevant package.
> However, nothing compels us to *install* that in any way.

IMHO we can bypass the install if, and only if, we can amake sure that when the package is installed there will be a GPL available (i.e. the link or the present copyright pointer will point to an actual GPL).

just my 2 cents,

fsm

--
Frederico S. Muñoz		GNU	http://www.gnu.org