Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

No, I take it back again.  Sorry for the flip-flop.  Distribution of
binary packages is under section 3 of the GPL, which is under the
terms of Sections 1 and 2, plus the additional rule about distributing
source.

Section 1 requires that you "give any other recipients of the Program
a copy of this License along with the Program".

The rules about binary packages (section 3) say that the source must
"accompany" the binary, and that putting it up on the same FTP site
counts as accompany, even if the user isn't compelled to copy the
source too.

But that laxity in the accompaniment of binaries with sources, cannot
be translated into a laxity about "giving the license" along with the
binaries.  That's a different section of the GPL entirely.

So I'm pretty sure, despite my immediately previous messages, that we
must distribute the GPL in the actual .deb of the relevant package.
However, nothing compels us to *install* that in any way.

Thomas