Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

Dale Scheetz writes:
 > On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Matthew Vernon wrote:
 > > No. Why should being a debian developer require you to be able to get
 > > hold of a scanner?
 >
 > Why should we require them to have access to a computer?

Oh come on, be reasonable. That's a non sequitur, and you know
it. They need a computer to keep their key on, build and test packages
on ,etc. etc.

 > We don't require this. We do require them to be "competent" enough to be
 > able to crate an image file from a document. Consider this a technical

This is not a competance issue at all. It's a technology issue.

 > performance test.

It isn't a technical performance test at all.

 > This just doesn't seem to be the onerous task that several have made it
 > out to be. It's just another requirement for becoming a member. Why not
 > just obliterate all the requirements, and make signing up sufficient to
 > membership? We did that at one time, why not now?

*sigh*

 > If you can't answer the above questions, you simply haven't been paying
 > attention to the particulars of the problem posed by new maintainers.

I presume the answers are obvious? We need to establish that the
applicant is who their key says they are. We need to establish they
understand and agree with Debian's principles. We need to establish
they are competant to furtil the role they have applied for. We
*don't* need to establish they can get hold of a scanner, nor that
they have a digistised photo they're willing to let us keep hold of.

Matthew

--
Rapun.sel - outermost outpost of the Pick Empire
http://www.pick.ucam.org