Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

I strongly disagree with the interpretation being made here.

Every applicant must provide an image file of a photograph of themselves,
most desired is a passport or a photo ID, signed with their GPG key, in
order to identify themselves to the group. This image is archived by the
DAM as the record of the "eyeball" portion of the identification.

If the key is already signed by a current Debian member, no further
identification is necessary. Otherwise the more complex "handshake" clause
is executed.

Having a key that is signed by a Debian member, doesnot constitute
"eyeball" contact, as many members have admitted that, although they
certainly looked at ID during the keysigning, they are not certain that
they can still identify the person by face.

Having the assurance that the keyholder is the applicant (this comes from
the signature on their key) coupled with the signed image provided by the
applicant closes the eye/hand loop. Neither is sufficient without the
other.

I would also ask: Do we want to accept people as members who are unwilling
to show us their face?

Obvoiusly I don't think so ;-)

Luck,