Re: Fear the new maintainer process

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 02:56:10PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 03:23:06PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Am Mit, 26 Jul 2000 15:11:08 Mark Brown Sie:
>
> > > It's not about the entry in the queue - it's about the time it takes the
> > > application manager to work this out when they try to process that
> > > applicant.  It's frustrating and it's time that could be better spent
> > > getting another applicant through the process.
>
> > So fix the process. Don't put the blame on the applicant, if you can
> > avoid it. We need their help, not they our shiny @debian.org address.
>
> Right - but in general, you seem to be against process, particularly
> process that makes getting in more difficult.  In this case, the
> suggestion has been to put a few hoops before the initial entry to the
> queue like providing a GPG key or an indication of what they intend to
> do for Debian.  Nothing extra - just moving some parts of the process
> earlier on.

So it shouldn't matter then if applicants supply the relevant information
straight away but could do "once they had found their feet"?

The problem is it is *something extra*. A GPG key. A Photo. Fingerprints.
The progression is almost linear.

> The problem is with applicants who basically don't respond when NM tries
> to get in touch with them, and it seems fair to put some of the effort
> for avoiding that onto the applicant.

They aren't a problem at all. They are a blessing. AMs can do what I did
when faced with a non-responsive applicant - ask for others to handle.

Anand