Thanks for your information (Re: Please reply soon, or I could not proceed)

Hi, Marcus. Thanks to supply some information about one of (current)
my applicants.

In <20000726014727.A285@ulysses.dhis.net>,
 on "Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:47:28 +0200",
  Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

> Thomas is a very busy person. I am sure he will come back to you when he is
> ready to give you what you need. Well, I won't speak for him, but:
>
>    Application Manager Comments
>    I have been waiting the response from this applicant. If he can't reply
>    in time, I will reject this application.
>
> Don't! This is silly. Thomas (I am not sure you realize it), designed and
> wrote the Hurd, he is a genius. Don't make it harder for him than it
> already is.

OK. But if he is not ready currently, then I think he could sent
just one-liner notification of mail arrival.   I'm afraid that he
has not receive my mail at all, or he does not have interests in
joining the Debian anymore (There are several applicants who
does not respond at all, or holding the process for months and
finally decide not to join the project, as I read from the list).

I can't process his application without his input, even if I eager
to make it faster as I can.   And, if ever my rejection did occur,
it does not mean at all the permanent rejection.  It just means
to drop it from the head of the queue, and probably to move at the
tail (if he re-send his application when he is ready to do).  If it
will take weeks or months for him to prepare the required stuff,
then it may not be so much different to be holded in the processing
queue or not.

Please check the explanation on <http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step5>

   Only if any of the critical items can not be completed by the
   applicant, will the application be rejected. These include:

     * Failure to provide adequate identification.
     * Failure to agree to our principles and procedures.
     * Failure to deliver mutually agreed upon projects.

   While deadlines are important, some extension of deadlines is
   certainly reasonable. However, considering that the applicant has
   considerable input into the creation of the schedule, long delays
   increase the likelihood of the application being rejected. When a
   project fails to be delivered, or the time for delivery was determined
   to be too long, the applicant will be given one additional opportunity
   to succeed at a similar task.

> I saw such things coming when I first read about the new new maintainer
> procedure. I still thing it is overly complicated. Oh well.

If you think it is definitely important thing to make him a member of
Debian, then you can yourself apply as one of Application Managers.
Now the new maintainer queue has over 100 people who has been waiting
when their Application Manager is assigined for them.  Total number in
the processing queue is about 200 while the number of Application Managers
is only about 30.  We need more and more Application Managers now.

> Thanks anyway for your efforts,

While I am not always agree with your opinion, I always respect most of
your words, Marcus.  I will wait his reply for other several weeks
to keep the honour of attending the famous hacker who will enter our
project (maybe) soon.

 # In fact, I haven't know his name because I don't have much interest
 # in development of Hurd.  I know just only the name of that kernel...

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>