Re: On the lets-remove-nonfree-proposal

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 04:52:50PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> Am Mit, 19 Jul 2000 16:04:57 Hamish Moffatt Sie:
> > I personally see two goals for Debian:
> > 1. Produce a high quality, open source UNIX system.
> > 2. Introduce people to open source ideals.
>
> Debian was founded long before the Open Source movement hit the market.

I mean free software (as defined by RMS) in general. I said "open source"
because it's less ambiguous.

> > However, I think this GR compromises #2.
> [...]
> > We lose our opportunity
> > to show them the benefits of open source (goal #2).
>
> I think that the benefits of free software is that it is free,
> not that it allows to run netscape on it or any other technical
> argument. We currently don't take our opportunity to show this
> to our users.

I agree, but I don't see how removing non-free helps to show
this. I argue that the opposite is true -- we lose our opportunity
to show them that. We lose the user to another vendor with
a different agenda entirely.

Regards,

Hamish