Re: Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 11:59:05PM +0800, truename wrote:

> I guess we're agree with each other. I mean, even the GR passed, that
> doesn't make Debian a worse distro then RH, only that Debian is (in some
> way) comes to a rpmfind.org, as bad/good as RH.  (Only techinicaly. I like
> RH then anyother RPM based distro.  And I like the company. 8)

I'd agree with that (at least the start - it's a while since I did RPM-based
other than RH themselves).

> So people think if the GR passed then they will abandon Debian, I think
> they're wrong on this point. (But I still cannot say if this GR itself is
> good or bad for advocating free software.)

I think it's a good move, if a bit like cauterizing something (ie potentially
painful but good). I also think "caution": do it in 6 months' time when we can
be just a bit more confident that if non-free is dumped, Free will triumph.

I also feel it's a bit closer to the roots of being "GNU/Linux"; if you
distribute non-free stuff, you're treading slightly on the FSF's toes in their
goal of creating a zero-cost (as well as "unhindered" as per open-source) Unix
for all by saying "zero-cost isn't good enough for all".

~Tim