Re: why not replace individual programs?

Hello!
        I'm not hardly following the thread, somebody probably already
mentioned this, anyway: stop trying to find replaces for propietary
software as a reason for not supporting it. We'll never be completely
free of propietary software. We'll get more  propietary software in
the future, and, sorry to say, open source will never be head to head in
the race. There will be great ideas that will emerge as commercial or
closed products, and we cannot expect to have an open source clone
every time that happens.

I'm not in favor of propietary software, I just think this argument is
useless. I say, if closed software is a problem to the developers,
coordinators or whatever in means of waste of resources (time,
disk-space, whatever), then I don't see the point of argue in stop
supporting it. People involved in propietary projects MUST take care
of the support of THEIR clients. Let them invest THEIR time,
disk-space, or whatever. There're a lot of fields where Debian is
failing, and supporting closed software shouldn't be one of them.

I think that if Debian becomes a great distribution and fulfills its
missing stuff, then it'll have support directly from the interested
parties, much like what's happening with RedHat.

Indeed, I think you guys should focus in what is best for the
distribution. If propietary software damages in any way the
distribution, just remove it (or move it, but if you do this I don't
see the point of so much argue).
                                     My 0.1 cents, FWIW.
                                                        Pablo.