Re: Clarifications

Stephen Frost <sfrost@mail.snowman.net> writes:

> > 1. Debian GNU/Linux does not inlucde non-free and never has.  My
> > proposed General Resolution will have no effect on the distribution.
> > This bears repeating.  This GR will have NO EFFECT on the distribution.
>
> 	I disagree.  It will have effect on the CD distribution.  It will
> have an effect on the http/ftp/rsync distribution.

What effect will it have on the CD distribution?  (The distribution is
the same thing anywhere...)

> 	The reason seems to be completely political.  There are no
> technical merits to it.  Letting outselves be driven by politics may
> not be beneficial.  As a change there needs to be some justification and

There are no technical merits to keeping it around, really.  Or
rather, what few technical merits there are, are overbalanced by the
merits of pulling it.

> 	Concern should be raised as to the reasons for this political
> statement.  What is the external reason for this change?  Have users
> been confused as to the meaning of 'non-free'?  Or have they been
> confused with regard to what Debian is and stands for?  Or is it bad
> press that Debian is being hypocritical with it's ideals?

I'm not concerned with bad press.  Users have been confused, and
apparently developers have been too, but that's not the reason for
it.  The reason is that it is indeed hypocritical wrt our ideals.

I do not dispute that there was a need for it.  At one time, it was
more important than it is now.  Anymore, the importance is low enough
that we can stick more truly to our ideals and rid ourselves of it.

> > 11. My proposal does not ban the use of BTS, mailinglists, or other
> > Debian infrastructure -- short of actually distributing the software
> > -- from being used for the continued maintenance of non-free software.
>
> 	This appears against the ideals that are apparently desired and
> makes for confusion.  Such a split would be worse than a complete break.

Nor does the proposal require that they continue to be used.  It is up
to be decided by the appropriate people what to do.

--
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>                       www.complete.org
Sr. Software Developer, Progeny Linux Systems, Inc.    www.progenylinux.com