Re: A "progressive" distribution

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 15:22:04 -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> the main idea here is that the release cycle would be automated, and
> packages would be gradutated from one tree to the next. perhaps an
> intermediate tree needs to be included. i believe this idea has promise,

I believe it has some promise, but such automation would only ease the
handling of release cycles. Integration testing cannot be automated away.

> how would you suggest we improve our release practice?

Your proposal reminds me a lot of the "package pools" proposed a while ago.
Unfortunately, I didn't follow the thread about it closely. I believe
someone is workingon implementing package pools; that's probably the area
where you can contribute most directly (especially since the package pool
idea can be tested out (say with gnome or KDE) without directly having to
replace the current release process.

Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.