Re: A "progressive" distribution

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 14:12:49 -0500, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> try this hypothetical release method out:
>
> there are two trees. let's call them devel and production. debian saavy
> folks (maintainers) run devel. new packages are uploaded to devel where
> they are tested extensivly. when a package has been in devel for more than
> (for instance) two weeks, and it has no release critical and few important
> bugs, it graduates into production.
>
> the production branch should always work.

But it won't. This approach ignores the fact that "stability" is a property
of a release as a whole (the set of packages and their interdependencies,
ISOs, boot floppies and the upgrade path from the previous release) rather
than the sum of the stability of individual packages.

Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking