Re: A "progressive" distribution

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 03:06:57PM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
>
> > But it won't. This approach ignores the fact that "stability" is a property
> > of a release as a whole (the set of packages and their interdependencies,
> > ISOs, boot floppies and the upgrade path from the previous release) rather
> > than the sum of the stability of individual packages.
>
> A possibly naive question:  apt-get will refuse to install packages if
> their dependencies aren't met.  Why can't dinstall do the same?  It would
> put any newly uploaded package in a waiting queue until all its
> dependencies were met.  It wouldn't help with out and out buggy programs
> but at least it would catch dependency problems.

Yes, such a queue was part of the "incremental release process"
proposal (which people then told me shouldn't have been
proposed, and is now being more-or-less implemented by someone
with no developer feedback at all). It's not hard to implement.
Search the archives for the proposal if you want details.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
          Hack and Roll  ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
            News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo           mailto:lalo@hackandroll.org
                 pgp key in the personal page

Debian GNU/Linux            ---            http://www.debian.org
Brazil of Darkness        ---       http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar