Re: Debian Law... come to Debian country!

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> I think "we" are building on a lot of hot air. I see a lot of problems
> with this.
> What do other people think? Is this where you want to go today?

Absolutely right!

I think we should leave anything that could be translated to read ``In
this situation, Debian developers will be expected to act sensibly,
having considered the implications of their actions'' should be left
out of the rules.

If someone feels the need to write a commentary on the
constitution/policy manual, including things along the lines of:

  Developers shall not:

  Use debian resources to launch hostile network attacks

  Use debian resources to send UCE

  Launch DOS attacks against debian systems.

  Use debian resources to hide their own illegal activities

  Bring the name of debian into disrepute

  etc. etc. etc.

Then feel free, but I really don't want it in policy, because people
will then have the opportunity to take things that are not on the list
of DO NOTs as permissible.

I don't see that we need say any more than:

  If you do something with debian resources, and find yourself unable
  to give a sensible answer to the question ``What the bloody hell do
  you think you were playing at?''  then you can expect to suffer
  sanctions up to and including permanent expulsion from the project.

I really don't see that we even need to say that explicitly, but if it
makes people feel better, then I'd go that far and no further.

Cheers, Phil.