Re: Archive size explosion.

Hi!

> The trouble is that there is no easy way for a down stream mirror to
> select just portions of debian such as "stable i386".
>
> I know that you can use utilities like "debmirror" or mirror scripts
> with regular expressions to exclude the parts that you do not want,
> but it is not a trivial exercise.  (I have first hand experience of this, I
> have kept  a mirror of the "stable i386" and the "soon to be stable
> i386" portions, such as "frozen" and "testing", of debian for over 4
> years. Keeping it valid and up to date has been like chasing a
> moving target, year after year.)

have a look at:
http://blue.frogfoot.net/unix/debian/

Lean Debian Mirror Config

- mirrors i386 Architecture only
- aims to mirror only the English subset of Debian
- does not mirror the Linux kernel source
- only mirrors the 1.44 format boot disks

> This is particularly in a problem in places like South Africa, where
> bandwidth is 10 times the price of that in the USA or Europe. As an
> example, the debian mirror on "ftp.linux.org.za" has not been
> updated since 1 April 2001.  This site is hosted on "ftp.is.co.za",
> probably the biggest publicly accessible mirror in this country.

i had the same problem, we run an ISP in South Africa and the official
debian mirrors in ZA suck.

root@swim:/home/ftp/linux/debian# du
5626464 .

5Gig, i run the mirror on weekends, takes about a day to run.
takes forever to mirror home over a 64k line :)

--
Regards
Johann

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a truck full of DLT tapes
going 60Km/h.

 Johann Botha                  Snailmail: PO Box 3472
 +27.82.5626.167                          Matieland
 joe@frogfoot.net                         Stellenbosch
 workpage: http://www.frogfoot.net        7602
 homepage: http://blue.frogfoot.net       South Africa

Copyright (c) 2001. The Sovereigns of Frogfoot. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer available upon request.