Re: Fear the new maintainer process

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 05:48:26PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 11:13:26AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:

> > Agreed, and their lack of interest might be holding up others in the NM
> > process that ARE willing to contribute. NM team needs to set a hard limit
> > on how long they will persue a potential developer, after that they get
> > dequeued.

> How can this "holding up" happen? And if it indeed can happen, this
> is an inherent problem of the process, and the process should be
> changed to allow for such delays without holding other people up.

> They don't need to "persue" something, they just need to wait.

Application managers have limited time, too.  If they say "I have time
to handle x applicants" and then some of those applicants never get back
to the AM the AM ends up twiddling their fingers waiting to decide that
the applicant isn't going to get back to them.

> I am getting the feeling that some (many?) people around here are
> trying to effectively close up Debian by trying to find ways to
> effectively accept less maintainers without saying so. This continues
> the "the boat is full" attitude that was omnipresent in the last long
> discussion about this issue in autumn last year.

Being a developer gets you the equivalent of CVS write access.  It's
reasonable to require some demonstration of clue before doing that.  I'd
suggest taking a look at what actually happens in the NM process - it
isn't nearly so fearful and difficult as you seem to think.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/