Re: Request for Removal: Unmaintained libppd in Debian

On 23/12/2022 22:01, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
the next Debian release will still have cups-filters 1.x
As long as libppd is independent of cups-filters 2.x (at least I understood your first email this way), the new libppd could be already added.

The new libppd needs libcupsfilters 2.x, so it needs the new cups-filters generation.

So I will switch over Ubuntu-only for now and everything gets a rehearsal on Ubuntu 23.04 (probably only cups-filters 2.x and perhaps also CPDB-based print dialogs, New Architecture optional via CUPS Snap and PPA) and on Ubuntu 23.10 (New Architecture using CUPS Snap 2.4.x or 2.5.x, cups-filters 2.x, CPDB-based print dialogs, G-C-C with new Printers module, printer drivers as Printer Application Snaps).

So both Ubuntu 23.04 LTS and the next Debian release will run with full New Architecture (Ubuntu with CUPS Snap 3.x, Debian with CUPS DEB packages 3.x), with the components already having being tested, debugged, and refined for several months (in the "small" Ubuntu releases).

So we leave the upcoming Debian completely untouched (or maintenance/hardware-enablement-only) in terms of printing, to keep it as stable as possible and switch only over when all is already well-tested and established by Ubuntu (and I got told "It works better than Windows/Mac." on several more conferences ...).

What concerns legacy libppd would mean that we could kill off this old stuff in Ubuntu only, simply removing it on syncing it from Debian any more (Seb, WDYT?) and for Debian we only need to decide on how to proceed once the release is out (when will this be?) and development has re-opened for the next Debian release.

WDYT?