Re: How long until a deleted printer actually vanishes?

Hi,

the iPad issue seems to have solved itself by just waiting for a while.
I suspect the iDevice does some caching. I am therefore only replying to
this mail for completeness of archives.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 05:20:38PM +0000, Brian Potkin wrote:
> On Sat 26 Jan 2019 at 15:51:51 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > Now my wife's iPad. The iPad sees the Lexmark C534 queue, and printing
> > there works. Glacially slow, but it works, and the iPad gives an
> > unspecific error message ("Error while printing" in German), before the
> > print job prints OK. She doesn't see the mx420-ka51 queue.
> >
> > There is clearly something going wrong here. How can I influence this?
>
> Thinking on, how does this sound, Marc?
>
> fan sees the Lexmark and the  MX426. They would also be picked up by
> 'avahi-browse -art'.

Yes, they're visible.

> This implies that all three are on the same subnet.

No, they aren't. The printers, parada, fan, and the iPad are on four
separate VLANs, with my Debian router/firewall, barrida[1], being the
hub. This has the advantage of being able to see the complete traffic of
all machines by tcpdumping on barrida. Both printers are on the same
VLANs.

barrida is also running avahi-daemon in reflector mode:
[2/3341]mh@barrida:~ $ grep -vE '^(#.*|)$' /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
[server]
use-ipv4=yes
use-ipv6=yes
ratelimit-interval-usec=1000000
ratelimit-burst=1000
[wide-area]
enable-wide-area=yes
[publish]
[reflector]
enable-reflector=yes
[rlimits]
rlimit-core=0
rlimit-data=8388608
rlimit-fsize=0
rlimit-nofile=768
rlimit-stack=8388608
rlimit-nproc=3

which seems to do a good-enough job.

Since the iPad now sees both printers, this case can be closed as well
;-)

Greetings
Marc

[1] just in case if somebody is wondering about the host names, those
are all dance moves