Re: cups-filters 1.6.0 released!

On 01/19/2016 12:38 AM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
There are several problems, which should really be fixed upstream:

* files in backend/ say that they inherit from dnssd.c, and their
licence says:

* Copyright 2008-2015 by Apple Inc.
*
* These coded instructions, statements, and computer programs are the
* property of Apple Inc. and are protected by Federal copyright
* law.  Distribution and use rights are outlined in the file
* "LICENSE.txt" "LICENSE" which should have been included with this
* file.  If this file is missing or damaged, see the license at
* "http://www.cups.org/";.
*
* This file is subject to the Apple OS-Developed Software exception.

There's no "LICENSE{,.txt}" file in the cups-filters source package,
letting us up to guesses.

This is the LICENSE.txt file of CUPS. I will look into whether I can
copy it (or the relevant parts) into the COPYING file of cups-filters
and modify the copyright headers appropriately.

Fixed in upstream BZR. I have replaced "LICENSE{,.txt}" by "COPYING" and removed the hint that if the file is missing that you find it at www.cups.org.

I have also removed the Apple license exception. Developers of derivative work from CUPS (as cups-filters) do not need to carry it on and cups-filters is not designed for use on Mac OS X, as Mac OS X does this task on its own.

I did this change not only in the backend/ directory but in the whole cups-filters package.

I also removed the ugly SVN file ID placeholders ("$Id") all over.

I have fixed a total of 73 files.

In general, as you can see from the debian/copyright file, there is
quite a mess of various licenses, and it seems that the COPYING file
from the source package is outdated.

I have recently added some "forgotten" files to COPYING. Probably only
beh is missing now. I will update this. The Braille stuff is already in.

I have added the beh and implicitclass backends now.

This will make up upstream 1.7.1 (as this does not add features).

This will get 1.8.0 as I got a feature addition for the Braille support.