Re: debian-printing and attachment size

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016, Brian Potkin wrote:
> I subscribe to debian-printing, I also triage bugs in the printing
> system every now and then. These bugs usually appear in
> debian-printing and it is very convenient for me to monitor their
> appearance there.

Thanks for working on triaging these bugs!

> However, on a small number of occasions the initial bug report does
> not show up in -printing. This happened yesterday with #827040. I
> surmise the reason was the 270K attachment it carried. The only reason
> I became aware of the report was a subsequent mail the reporter sent
> to control@b.d.o.

Yeah; debian-printing is using the default message size limit for
mailing lists. We can bump it up if that's useful, but in general,
sending large attachments is a problem, because mailing lists multiply
attachments. [IE, if you send a 1M attachment to -devel, we're going to
(potentially) send out gigabytes of attachments to the subscribers.]

However, since there aren't that many subscribers on -printing, we could
definitely increase the limit.

> As far as I am concerned a change would enhance my workflow but maybe
> other users of -printing see the proposal as having a negative impact
> on the list.

Unless someone has an issue, I can bump up the size limit for this
mailing list. If I don't hear any objections (please send them to
listmaster@lists.debian.org) I'll bump up the limit to 512K.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very
easy to govern. It demands no social reforms. It does not haggle over
expenditures on armaments and military equipment. It pays without
discussion, it ruins itself, and that is an excellent thing for the
syndicates of financiers and manufacturers for whom patriotic terrors
are an abundant source of gain.
 -- Anatole France