Re: CUPS: Why do we disable page logging in page_log by default?

On Wed 08 Jun 2016 at 14:07:40 -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to address the following bug reports
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups-filters/+bug/1585380
> https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/4798
>
> I have done some fixes in cups-filters (already on the BZR, will be in 1.9.0
> to be released soon).
>
> But these fixes only work if page logging is not generally disabled in CUPS,
> as it is currently with the CUPS which comes with Debian and Ubuntu.
>
> The disabling is done by a line
>
> PageLogFormat
>
> without any assigned value in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
>
> One can control this default setting at build time by the
> --enable-page-logging option for ./configure, which controls whether
> cupsd.conf will have this line or not.
>
> So my question is whether there is a reason for disabling page logging in
> Debian and Ubuntu? If yes, which reason? If no, we should add
>
> --enable-page-logging
>
> to the ./configure command line in debian/rules of the CUPS package, to
> avoid bug reports like the above-mentioned ones.
>
> WDYT?

The change in PageLogFormat came in CUPS 2.0b1:

  Changed the default AccessLogLevel and PageLogFormat to disable the
  access_log and page_log files by default (<rdar://problem/16495000>)

If we knew what rdar://problem/16495000 involved it might be easier to
make a decision on reintroducing the previous behaviour. page_log is not
readable by a user, so that isn't an issue.

If cupsd.conf is left as it is I'd suggest a comment be added:

  # Disables page logging. Please see cupsd.conf to enable it.
  PageLogFormat

Regards,

Brian.