Re: Auto-creation of IPP network printer queues

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 06:26:10PM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> I have an HP ENVY 4500 series inkjet. With cups-browsed 1.0.61-5 on
> Jessie and 'CreateIPPPrinterQueues Yes' in cups-browsed.conf a print
> queue is created. With cups-browsed 1.8.3-2 it is not. The output from
> 'cups-browsed -v' says it is ignoring this printer as "...its PDLs are
> not known".
>
> I eventually tracked this down to a change made in 1.3.0-1:
>
>    cups-browsed: Auto-create queues for PCL-5c/e printers but
>    not for HP inkjet printers (which also advertise themselves
>    as PCL printers).
>
> The TXT Record for this printer has
>
>    pdl=application/vnd.hp-PCL,image/jpeg,application/PCLm,image/urf
>
> so I assume it is 'application/vnd.hp-PCL' which is being discriminated
> against.
>
> It isn't the inability to auto-setup a queue which immediately concerns
> me but it is the fact I do not know the basic reason why. The queue
> would not be of much use to me anyway beause it only accepts PDF. What
> is the significance of only accepting PCL-5c/e as a candidate PDL? The
> concept of driverless printing is beginning to intrigue me.
>
> I am in the process of writing a wiki page on AirPrint and, while I
> could write reasonably confidently about what happens on Jessie,
> extending my understanding can only help.

Simply spoken: AirPrint is not supported. AirPrint printers are only
required to support image/urf, some might support image/pdf. I have
talked to Till about image/urf support, and I have some stuff in my
mailbox about this.

If your printer supports image/pdf, you're lucky. If not, you're
not.

> Possibly unrelated, but why does the GTK print dialog not display my
> printer using its Bonjour broadcasts (no cupsd running)?

No app on Linux does that AFAIK, you need to scan in cups-browsed.

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev

When replying, only quote what is necessary, and write each reply
directly below the part(s) it pertains to (`inline'). Thank you.