Re: cups-browsed and cups IdleExitTimeout bugs ?

On 09/30/2014 06:13 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> while I'm integrating the Ubuntu patches in cups and foo2zjs, would you
> mind taking a look at the (excellent) bugs reported by Brian Potkin in
> cups-browsed and cups?
>
> In cups-browsed:
> 	#759348 cups-browsed: May hang for 90 seconds when restart
>
> This is most certainly upstream-specific, I'd highly welcome your input
> there.

I must look deeper into this.

> In cups:
> 	#758284 cups-daemon: IdleExitTimeout appears to be unreliable
> 	#758665 cups-daemon: The cups daemon stops and starts continuously when browsing
>
> These two look like problems brought by your
> cupsd-idleexittimeout.patch, I'd therefore also welcome your input
> there.

I do not know whether an idle exit solution was already accepted
upstream and our patch perhaps forgotten to be removed, or perhaps it
needs to be reduced to only support Upstart (with systemd support
already upstream). So we need to investigate this.

Also under Debian cupsd is started by systemd and probably there are
different modes to choose, either simple permanent, which is like
before, for server/desktop, and on-demand for laptop/mobile. cupsd does
not only need to know whether it was fired up by systemd but also
whether in permanent or on-demand mode, and only time out in the latter
mode.

On Ubuntu there are no complaints yet, but we use Upstart and only the
permanent mode currently. For the on-demand only short tests were done,
no long-term investigations.