Re: cups-filters 1.0.44 and binary package splitting for mobile

Le samedi, 18 janvier 2014, 20.42:16 Till Kamppeter a écrit :
> >> For the name for the new binary packages I am also a little bit in
> >> doubt, -minimal is also not good as there is the smaller level-1
> >> configuration of no drivers/filters at all. The new packages are
> >> for a configuration with a minimum support for directly talking to
> >> printers.
> >>
> >> As filters for PDF, PostScript, PWG Raster, and PCL are also
> >> certain
> >> printer drivers perhaps we should say something like
> >> -basic-drivers?
> >
> > -core-drivers ? AFAIK they are not -basic, but rather a selection of
> > the most important ones, hence -core.
>
> OK, let us take -core-drivers.

ACK.

Reviewing the package before uploading made me aware of a new question:
shouldn't cups-filters-core-drivers depend (or at the very least
recommend) on ghostscript ? At least:

a) pdftoippprinter tries to use either gstoraster filter (in cups-
filters) or ghostscript through CUPS_GHOSTSCRIPT, then fallbacks to
pdftoraster.
b) pdftops tries to use gs through CUPS_GHOSTSCRIPT if pdftops-renderer
is configured that way (which is default as far as I could see).

So for b) at least, cups-filters-core-drivers needs to depend on
ghostscript, which is apparently conflicting with the goal of having a
small-footprint package. The other possibility is to configure cups-
filters with --with-pdftops=hybrid, no?

Cheers,

OdyX