Re: Splitting foo2zjs

Hi Till,

Thanks for rising this question.

Le mercredi, 8 janvier 2014, 12.42:04 Till Kamppeter a écrit :
> OdyX, you have split foo2zjs into printer-driver-foo2zjs and
> printer-driver-foo2zjs-common telling that you want all
> arch-independent files being shared across architectures. This saves
> some disk space in the build server infrastructure (there should be
> plenty of disk space)

This was triggered by the arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share lintian
informational tag:

http://lintian.debian.org/tags/arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share.html

Where it saves the most is on the mirrors, especially on Debian, as we
currently have 13 architectures. The saving (although not huge) is of
~400 kB per package, for a new package of ~520 kB, altogether a ~4.6Mb
saving.

I agree it's not immense, but it's a small move in the direction of
containing the continuous archive grow.

(Also, it's probably worth mentioning that this change went through the
NEW queue, so the FTP-Masters had to acknowledge that change…)

> and on the user side it is probably without any benefit as nowadays no
> one shares a system disk partition between several computers (which
> can be of different architectures).

Well, it's without downsides either as far as I can tell, no? The update
should be fully transparent for all users, no?

> So for me it looks like that it makes building and updating more
> complicated without real benefit. Or what are the real advantages?

Well, I can agree that src:foo2zjs became a little more complicated to
maintain, but it's really not a burden, as far as I'm concerned… (Fixing
the manpages or the build-system were way more cumbersome to do fwiw.)

That said, if you have serious reasons to revert that, I'd happily hear
them…

Cheers,

OdyX