Reducing the Debian/Ubuntu delta of Gutenprint

Hi,

I have merged the gutenprint 5.2.9-1 package from Debian into Ubuntu and the current ly remaining changes in Ubuntu are:

- debian/printer-driver-gutenprint.ppd-updater,
  debian/foomatic-db-gutenprint.ppd-updater,
  debian/printer-driver-gutenprint.postinst,
  debian/printer-driver-gutenprint.install.in,
  debian/foomatic-db-gutenprint.install.in,
  debian/rules:
  Use the PPD updater script of the cups package to update the PPD files
  (in /etc/cups/ppd/) of all already existing print queues using this
  driver when updating this package. In contrary to Gutenprint's own
  cups-genppdupdate the script of the cups package can also migrate PPD
  files. In our case we migrate Foomatic/IJS PPD files to the equivalent
  PPDs using the CUPS Raster driver of Gutenprint and we replace
  simplified PPD files by the corresponding standard PPDs, as we
  discontinue the simplified PPDs in Ubuntu to reduce the delta to
  Debian and to make printer model/driver listings in printer setup
  tools less cluttered. printer-driver-gutenprint.postinst is not
  needed any more and therefore removed.
- debian/control: Removed dependency on perl, all what is needed from
  Perl is in perl-base.
- debian/ubuntu/apport-hook.py, debian/rules: Install Apport hook if the
  package is built under Ubuntu (decides via "dpkg-vendor").
- debian/control: Added transitional package ijsgutenprint-ppds. The
  Ubuntu-only package with this name got dropped in favor of migrating
  users of the IJS flavor of Gutenprint to the CUPS Raster flavor.

The first item, the automatic PPD updating via a trigger in CUPS we do already for all the other printer drivers in Debian. So it would be great to have it also in Gutenprint.

The removal of the dependency on Perl is a trivial step which removes unneeded clutter from the installed systen. The upstream code I have fixed recently to eliminate all dependencies on non-perl-base Perl stuff.

The Apport hook is added to most Debian printer driver packages, being installed only when the binary packages are built under Ubuntu. See the implementation in the other packages.

The transitional package ijsgutenprint-ppds is actually only needed in Ubuntu as Debian never shipped a package named ijsgutenprint-ppds. Here it would be great if one finds a way that it is only built when building under Ubuntu and not built when building under Debian. Is there a way to do so?