Re: Orphaning of gutenprint

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 10:26:03AM +0100, Didier Raboud wrote:
> just a short notice to summarize my position: I am willing to
> co-maintain gutenprint, either with Roger or with Till, even better
> with both (more to have it maintained than by personal interest). As
> Roger, I don't think blindly accepting all Ubuntu changes in Debian
> is good for either distros but I certainly think that having a
> common source package and packaging repository can help. It is
> possible to accomodate many "derivative-specific" (such as apport
> hooks e.g.) changes in a common source package (with dpkg-vendor
> snippets e.g.) and I don't see why we shouldn't.

I am perfectly happy with either or both of us as co-maintainers.
I should add that my criticisms of the Ubuntu package were only
to illustrate why I think a wholesale adoption of the Ubuntu
packaging would be a bad thing.  I'm sure that having a common
repo would be good, and Ubuntu-specific bits can certainly be
special-cased or go on a different branch.  Releasing off a
different branch would probably be the best way, i.e. having
an "ubuntu" branch which can be synched with the debian branch.

When I've looked through the Ubuntu delta in the past, I've gone
through it line-by-line to see what Debian should pick up (or not).
Really, the same process needs to happen the other way also, i.e. to
justify why a difference exists, and if it should continue.  Some
such as the simplified PPDs are not appropriate for Debian, others
may be.

> >5.2.7-2/configure
> >5.2.7-2/configure.ac
> >  Both obsolete and were reverted in Debian.
>
> Those are put in by debian/patches/cups_modeldir.patch, unneeded if
> no PPD files are shipped, right ?

Yes.

> >5.2.7-2/debian/foomatic-db-gutenprint.ppd-updater
> >  Needed?
>
> "ppd-updater" files trigger a cups postinst call at installation
> time, allowing cups to update its PPD-based queues, avoiding the
> need to duplicate that functionality in all printer driver packages
> (see cups postinst). Packages using that functionality should
> probably Break: cups (<< 1.5.0-3~).

Right.  This would probably be worth including, as would the
other one for the CUPS-native driver.  If it would obsolete
cups-genppdupdate, then so much the better.

I am unsure why such as useful addition is not included upstream.
The existing cups-genppdupdate was developed by and for Debian,
but was upstreamed from the start.  If it works for all CUPS
installations (i.e. is not Debian- and/or Ubuntu-specific), then
it should go upsteam.  Till, is there any reason why this has not
happened?  It could go into 5.2.8.

Regards,
Roger

--