Re: Orphaning of gutenprint

Hi all,

just a short notice to summarize my position: I am willing to co-maintain gutenprint, either with Roger or with Till, even better with both (more to have it maintained than by personal interest). As Roger, I don't think blindly accepting all Ubuntu changes in Debian is good for either distros but I certainly think that having a common source package and packaging repository can help. It is possible to accomodate many "derivative-specific" (such as apport hooks e.g.) changes in a common source package (with dpkg-vendor snippets e.g.) and I don't see why we shouldn't.

Now for the comments about the source package, I mostly agree with Roger.

These extra PPDs were not included in Debian for a reason: they are
entirely pointless with modern CUPS.

Till: Why are they included in Ubuntu's gutenprint ?

Comments on the current delta.  The Ubuntu-provided deltas are
horrible, so not all comments may apply to the source package; they
may just be artifacts from the diff.

5.2.7-2/configure
5.2.7-2/configure.ac
  Both obsolete and were reverted in Debian.

Those are put in by debian/patches/cups_modeldir.patch, unneeded if no PPD files are shipped, right ?

5.2.7-2/debian/cups-driver-gutenprint.install.in
  apport is not in Debian.

Easy to put in debian/rules with dpkg-vendor.

  Some odd path changes.

Agreed.

5.2.7-2/debian/foomatic-db-gutenprint.ppd-updater
  Needed?

"ppd-updater" files trigger a cups postinst call at installation time, allowing cups to update its PPD-based queues, avoiding the need to duplicate that functionality in all printer driver packages (see cups postinst). Packages using that functionality should probably Break: cups (<< 1.5.0-3~).

Cheers,

OdyX