Re: cups: filter gs takes several minutes consuming 100 % of CPU

On 10/22/2012 06:22 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
Le lundi, 22 octobre 2012 15.51:19, Paul Menzel a écrit :
Didier, thank you for following up on the report. Today I hit this
problem again – unfortunately when being in a hurry. It looks like on a
new installed system, CUPS is not affected as it does not use the gs
filter by default anymore(?).

Well, CUPS now supposedly uses the "PDF" workflow and avoids converting PDF's
to PS'es when unnecessary. Till will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Yes, that is the case. Usually PDF is only converted into PS if the printer is a PS printer or the driver requires PS input (like foo2zjs).

Additionally bug #664538 [2] seems to deal with the same problem. Brian
kindly followed up, mentioning too that it has to do with the gs filter
in cups-filters and that pdftops might work.

Well, the pdftops filter calls gs in Wheezy, as far as I can see.

At least in the newest upstream version of cups-filters one can switch the filter to use pdftops from Poppler.