Re: cups: filter gs takes several minutes consuming 100 % of CPU

Am Montag, den 22.10.2012, 22:49 +0200 schrieb Till Kamppeter:
> On 10/22/2012 06:22 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > Le lundi, 22 octobre 2012 15.51:19, Paul Menzel a écrit :
> >> Didier, thank you for following up on the report. Today I hit this
> >> problem again – unfortunately when being in a hurry. It looks like on a
> >> new installed system, CUPS is not affected as it does not use the gs
> >> filter by default anymore(?).
> >
> > Well, CUPS now supposedly uses the "PDF" workflow and avoids converting PDF's
> > to PS'es when unnecessary. Till will correct me if I'm wrong. :)
>
> Yes, that is the case. Usually PDF is only converted into PS if the
> printer is a PS printer or the driver requires PS input (like foo2zjs).

So what is it converted to in the end? PCL?

> >> Additionally bug #664538 [2] seems to deal with the same problem. Brian
> >> kindly followed up, mentioning too that it has to do with the gs filter
> >> in cups-filters and that pdftops might work.
> >
> > Well, the pdftops filter calls gs in Wheezy, as far as I can see.
>
> At least in the newest upstream version of cups-filters one can switch
> the filter to use pdftops from Poppler.

On a freshly installed system, pdftops seems to be used by default. At
least there the file printed very quickly.

Thanks to kens in #ghostscript on irc.freenode.net, the problem is
likely that the PDF has transparency. (Like when created by Cairo using
the feature Print to file from the printing dialog.)

Additionally by default `pdf2ps` using a 720 dpi resolution. And
`pdftops` 300 dpi by default.

Using such a high resolution poses a big task to the converter.

So I guess, this issue should be reassigned to CUPS, as it should figure
out what resolution to use from the one of the target printer.

Thanks,

Paul