Avahi patch upstream in CUPS 1.6.0

Hi,

I have packaged CUPS 1.6.0 for Debian an Ubuntu anddid the first tests.

CUPS broadcasting is removed, so printers shared by a serve do not automatically appear on a listening client.

So clients can only discover printers by Bonjour/DNS-SD/mDNS, which requires a well working Avahi support implementation on the server side.

Tim, according to SVN log and release announcement, CUPS 1.6.0 has incorporated your Avahi patch and this I tried now by trying to access from a client.

Unfortunately I ran into major problems:

- avahi-discover does not see the shared printers on the server.

- system-config-printer also does not see the CUPS server, on "Find network printers" the queues get listed under th "Connections" when entering the server's host name. Selecting a queue leads to system-config-printer entering an infinite loop on the driver search, due to the fact that system-config-printer does not recognize tha this isa remote CUPS queue andso the clienthasto creat a raw queue and that the device ID discovered by system-config-printer is "MFG:;MDL:;". This means that the data blob reurned by CUPS 1.6.0 on the Avahi request is white noise, empty, or otherwise broken.

Tim, did you have already a look whether the Avahi implementation in CUPS 1.6.0 is correct? Is it actually based on your patch?