Re: Orphaning of gutenprint

On 02/14/2012 11:43 AM, Roger Leigh wrote:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 02:03:25AM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
I am about to package 5.2.8rc1 for Ubuntu Precise before Feature
Feeze on Thursday.

I have looked through the Delta and most of the differences can be dropped:

OK.

     - debian/rules: Include the simplified CUPS Raster PPDs of
       Gutenprint by an explicit "./configure" option.

          Will drop that and add a .ppd-updater file to auto-migrate to
          the full PPDs.

If you feel this is useful for Ubuntu users, that's fine.  If the
simplified PPDs are user-friendlier, it might be worth retaining
them.  While I kept the "full" PPDs in Debian, I'm not aware of
many people using them; I would guess that only a tiny percentage
of users tweak all the knobs.

For simplification of the packaging and the listing of printers in printer setup tools and to reduce the Debian delta I will drop the simplified PPDs and migrate the users via .ppd-updater.

     - debian/control, debian/rules, debian/ijsgutenprint-ppds.install,
       debian/cups-driver-gutenprint.install, debian/ijsgutenprint-
       ppds.postinst:
       Added the binary package ijsgutenprint-ppds: This package
       contains all PPDs which can be generated from the Foomatic XML
       database for ijsgutenprint in one compressed pyppd archive. This
       takes much less disk space than the XML database (1.1 MB vs. 102
       MB) and makes access (listing all PPDs, extracting the needed
       PPD) also significantly faster.

          For CUPS users this package makes a lot of sense as 102 MB of
          Foomatic XMLs are replaced by 1.1 MB of compressed PPDs, but
          CUPS users should use the CUPS Raster driver. So I could drop
          this additional 1.1 MB (and 2 hours build time) binary package
          and migrate CUPS/ijsgutenprint users to the CUPS Raster driver
          via a .ppd-updater file (and perhaps even make CUPS and
          ijsgutenprint conflict). WDYT?

It would help to know who the intended users of this package are.
What can use these PPDs other than CUPS?  Does this package
provide benefits which the native CUPS driver does not?

There's no need for the CUPS and ijsgutenprint packages to conflict
here, given that they serve different needs and can be used
independently.

The ijsgutenprint driver has no advantage at all for CUPS users AFAIK, so I will replace the ijsgutenprint-ppds package by a .ppd-updater in the CUPS Raster driver package which migrates the ijsgutenprint users to the CUPS Raster driver.

     - debian/patches/upgrade-getopt.patch: Replace Getopt::Std by
       configuring Getopt::Long to run in a mode compatible with
       Getopt::Std
     - debian/control: Dependency on perl is no longer necessary -
       Data::Dumper and Getopt::Std were the last modules being used
       that aren't in perl-base.

          These three we should overtake into Debian as they eliminate
          the dpendency on the full Perl package and allow to depend on
          perl-base.

I think I mentioned this in an earlier mail, but I'll reiterate it:
have these been submitted upstream?  They do need to be upstream
before it makes sense to include, given that they are not critical
bugfixes.  Depending only on perl-base might be useful, but it's
not a reason to diverge from upstream.  Once these changes are
upstream, then we can make this change.

I think that this was pushed forward in Ubuntu as Gutenprint is part of the Desktop Live CD and there saving deps is important. So I will keep this delta until it is upstream.

     - debian/rules: Build with "--enable-nls" in the "./configure"
       command line.

          I remember that it was for some part of the I18n. Is this
          really needed (for example for globalized PPDS)?

We do need this option; it should be added back.  I thought it
was added by dh_auto_configure, but apparently not.  Possibly
dependent on the dh compat level.  I just checked with 9, and
it's not added.

So I keep it as it will return into the Debian package.

     - debian/cups-driver-gutenprint.install: don't install
       samples/profile.jpg

          Having a delta for eliminating only one file is overkill, will
          drop this difference.

We could drop this file; nothing uses it AFAICT, so it's just taking
up space.

So I keep the not-installation of this file.

     - debian/foomatic-db-gutenprint.postinst: automatically update the
       PPD files of existing CUPS queues which use the IJS driver.

          Automatic PPD update is a good idea, only to be dropped if we
          really let ijsgutenprint and CUPS conflict.

WDYT about this way to handle the differences? And how should we
proceed with the relationship between ijsgutenprint and CUPS:

1. (Most radical): Let ijsgutenprint and CUPS conflict and migrate
IJS users to Raster via .ppd-updater file

2. Only remove ijsgutenprint-ppds and migrate IJS users to Raster
via .ppd-updater file

3. Keep ijsgutenprint-ppds and migrate IJS users to Raster via
.ppd-updater file

4. Keep ijsgutenprint-ppds and do not migrate IJS users.

The above options are presumably Ubuntu-only decisions, given that
this was never provided or supported by Debian.  As I mentioned at
the top, I'm not sure if there are any significant use cases for
this setup which the native CUPS driver does not provide.  If there
are not, then migration may be useful given that it will greatly
simplify things.  As I said above, I don't think conflicts are
appropriate here, so I don't think (1) is a good idea.  2—4 are all
OK, depending upon whether it's a useful feature to keep.  If it's
not useful to keep, then (2) would be the best, I think.

As told above, I will go with (2) here.