Re: Orphaning of gutenprint

I am about to package 5.2.8rc1 for Ubuntu Precise before Feature Feeze on Thursday.

I have looked through the Delta and most of the differences can be dropped:

    - debian/rules: Include the simplified CUPS Raster PPDs of
      Gutenprint by an explicit "./configure" option.

         Will drop that and add a .ppd-updater file to auto-migrate to
         the full PPDs.

    - debian/control, debian/rules, debian/ijsgutenprint-ppds.install,
      debian/cups-driver-gutenprint.install, debian/ijsgutenprint-
      ppds.postinst:
      Added the binary package ijsgutenprint-ppds: This package
      contains all PPDs which can be generated from the Foomatic XML
      database for ijsgutenprint in one compressed pyppd archive. This
      takes much less disk space than the XML database (1.1 MB vs. 102
      MB) and makes access (listing all PPDs, extracting the needed
      PPD) also significantly faster.

         For CUPS users this package makes a lot of sense as 102 MB of
         Foomatic XMLs are replaced by 1.1 MB of compressed PPDs, but
         CUPS users should use the CUPS Raster driver. So I could drop
         this additional 1.1 MB (and 2 hours build time) binary package
         and migrate CUPS/ijsgutenprint users to the CUPS Raster driver
         via a .ppd-updater file (and perhaps even make CUPS and
         ijsgutenprint conflict). WDYT?

    - debian/patches/generic-large-format-printers.patch:  Use "Large
      Format" instead of "LF" in the names of the Generic PCL printers,
      this way users understand better what the difference between the
      entries is.

         I will drop it as it is included in 5.2.8.

    - debian/patches/no-data-dumper-needed.patch: Data::Dumper is
      imported,
      but never actually used, so drop that.
    - debian/patches/upgrade-getopt.patch: Replace Getopt::Std by
      configuring Getopt::Long to run in a mode compatible with
      Getopt::Std
    - debian/control: Dependency on perl is no longer necessary -
      Data::Dumper and Getopt::Std were the last modules being used
      that aren't in perl-base.

         These three we should overtake into Debian as they eliminate
         the dpendency on the full Perl package and allow to depend on
         perl-base.

    - debian/rules: Build with "--enable-nls" in the "./configure"
      command line.

         I remember that it was for some part of the I18n. Is this
         really needed (for example for globalized PPDS)?

    - debian/local/apport-hook.py, debian/rules,
      debian/cups-driver-gutenprint.install: Added apport hook.

         I will proceed as in the CUPS package here.

    - debian/cups-driver-gutenprint.postinst: Make failures of the
      update for the PPD files of existing print queues for the CUPS
      Raster driver non-fatal

         Generally a good idea, but due to the need of migrating
         simplified PPDs and ijsgutenprint PPDs to full CUPS Raster PPDs
         we need a .ppd-updater file for the CUPS Raster driver anyway
         and so we can remove the PPD updating from .postinst.

    - debian/cups-driver-gutenprint.install: don't install
      samples/profile.jpg

         Having a delta for eliminating only one file is overkill, will
         drop this difference.

    - debian/patches/10_cups_modeldir.patch: place ppd files in
      /usr/share/ppd

	 This I will drop, as the whole Gutenprint package does not ship
         physical PPDs, independent whether we build the
         ijsgutenprint-ppds binary package or not.

    - debian/control: Added transitional cupsys-driver-gutenprint
      package,
      easing the transition from hardy. Versioned Conflicts/Replaces.

         I will drop this, Hardy is OOOOLD!

    - debian/foomatic-db-gutenprint.postinst: automatically update the
      PPD files of existing CUPS queues which use the IJS driver.

         Automatic PPD update is a good idea, only to be dropped if we
         really let ijsgutenprint and CUPS conflict.

WDYT about this way to handle the differences? And how should we proceed with the relationship between ijsgutenprint and CUPS:

1. (Most radical): Let ijsgutenprint and CUPS conflict and migrate IJS users to Raster via .ppd-updater file

2. Only remove ijsgutenprint-ppds and migrate IJS users to Raster via .ppd-updater file

3. Keep ijsgutenprint-ppds and migrate IJS users to Raster via .ppd-updater file

4. Keep ijsgutenprint-ppds and do not migrate IJS users.

   Till